STARTING AT BROOK STREET PRIMARY SCHOOL
Our published admission number (PAN) is 45 in the Reception and Year 1. In all other classes it is 30.
INDUCTION POLICY FOR RISING 5s
Our aim is to make the children’s entry into school as rewarding and enjoyable as possible.
We hope the children will remember their first day at school as an exciting experience, free from worry or fear!
1. Initial tour of the school by appointment with headteacher for
parents and child.
2. Parents’ Evening Meeting in June – to explain school procedures and induction policy.
This contains activities for parents and child to do together in preparation for school. These are exchanged every week at the school.
Invitations to children for two sessions at the end of June/July are given out at the Parents’ Meeting. These sessions are an opportunity for the children to meet staff, to familiarise themselves with the classroom, to experience the activities available as well as meet the other children.
During the first week of term prior to entering school, staff make home visits if the child has not already attended nursery. They meet children and parents at home in order to talk to parents and child alone. This is an ideal opportunity to ask any questions which may be worrying the child or parents. A photo album of classroom activities is used to promote discussion, a story is read and the child is asked to draw a picture for the classroom wall. A registration form is also completed with the parents.
Entrance Procedure (September/October)
The children begin attending part-time for the first few weeks with a gradual introduction to school. Starting with the youngest they attend either mornings or afternoons for the first few weeks, then gradually increase the days of full-time attendance. All the children are attending full-time by half-term. We firmly believe the children’s education should be a partnership between home and school working together in the children’s best interests
APPLYING FOR A PLACE AT BROOK STREET SCHOOL’S NURSERY
• Your child is eligible to start our Nursery soon after their 3rd birthday. (15 hours per week)
• There are 3 intake periods for nursery aged children
and your child is eligible to start in the month that falls immediately after their 3rd birthday ie if their birthday falls between
1. 1st April and 31 August, they will start nursery in September
2. 1st September and 31st December, they will start nursery in January
3. 1st January and 31st March, they will start nursery in April
If you would like to come and look round our nursery and place your child’s name on our waiting list, please contact school on 01228 558724 to make an appointment and request a form.
APPLYING FOR A PLACE AT BROOK STREET SCHOOL
If your child has not attended our nursery, you can still apply for a place in our Reception class.
• Your child is eligible to start full time school (Reception class) in the September following their 4th birthday.
If you would like to come and look round our school and place your child’s name on our waiting list, please contact school on 01228 558724 to make an appointment and request a form.
TRANSFERRING TO BROOK STREET SCHOOL
There may be an occasion when your child has to move from their current school ie due to moving house. If this is the case, please contact Brook Street School on 01228 558724 to:
• ask if we have places available
• arrange for an appointment to view the school
• arrange to complete admission forms
• arrange to order school uniform
The Headteacher will be happy to show you round the school and answer any questions you may have.