VOLUNTEERING TO HELP TEACH ENGLISH TO CHILDREN NEW TO ENGLISH
Do you have any free time to VOLUNTEER at BROOK STREET SCHOOL CARLISLE?
We desperately need volunteers
to work one-to-one or in small groups
with children who are new to English
We will give full training on how to do this and, as all you are doing is teaching them the basics of the
English language, it is very easy to do.
If you can commit to just 20 minutes per day, we would love to hear from you.
(you can of course spend longer, if you prefer.
I hour would mean that you could help
3 children (20 minutes each).
If every day is too much of a commitment, then we can work with this too so we would still love to hear from you.
I am sure that you would find this a very enjoyable and rewarding experience
Our children are wonderful children who are very keen to learn.
Your help would be invaluable to them.
If you feel that you can help, please contact school
On 01228 558724 or email:
VISITORS IN SCHOOL
We have many visitors to Brook Street School – students, volunteers, advisors, and trainee teachers.
All are most welcome. We hope you enjoy your time with us whether it is a day, a week or a year-long attachment. The following information is designed to help you settle down easily and quickly – if you have any further questions please contact the School Office by phone or email.
DRESS CODE FOR STUDENTS and VOLUNTEERS IN SCHOOL
Students and Volunteers should wear practical / smart clothing on their placement and we respectfully ask that you do not wear jeans.
If your placement is in the Foundation Stage or Year 1, you will need warm clothing at certain times of the year, as the doors are open for the children throughout the day.
Please see our page
APPLYING FOR A STUDENT PLACEMENT AT BROOK STREET SCHOOL
If you would like to apply for a placement at Brook Street School, please contact school on 01228 558724.
School will need to know:
• Your name
• Your address
• Your telephone number / email address
• That you can provide identification for yourself
• Who your education provider is i.e. Carlisle College, RWP, System People etc, if you are a student.
• The duration of the placement ie one term, two terms, all year
• How many days per week you will be in school
• Which days of the week you will be in school
• That you have an Enhanced Disclosure for regulated Activity (DBS) and that your education provider is willing to declare any ‘Additional Information’ received. Please ask at school about this.
• Which course you are undertaking ie NVQ 3 Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning etc, if you are a student.
• The name of your tutor and their telephone contact details / email address.
• The names of 2 professionals who are willing to give you a reference.
Whether you are a student or volunteer, if we have availability to accommodate your request, we will invite you to interview (with a member of the Senior Management Team) where we can discuss your placement and let you know if you have been successful in your request. You will need to complete and hand in to school the form below.
Before starting with us you will be asked to complete a Health and Safety induction. You will be given a series of documents to read through, followed by a short quiz to show us you understand key procedures at school. The signature sheet from the induction and the test must be handed in before you start in school
All placements are on a trial basis and can be terminated by school at any time.
The following conditions apply:
• Attend regularly and on time (placements will be withdrawn if attendance / timekeeping becomes a cause for concern)
• Contact school if they are absent due to illness before 8.30am (leave a message on the answer-phone if necessary
• Adhere to the dress code for school
• Adhere to health and safety regulations
• Follow instructions given by school staff
• Ensure confidentiality is maintained at all times